Last week we covered what you should and shouldn’t wear if you have a pear body type. Today we are going to discuss an inverted triangle. Inverted triangle is the opposite of the pear shaped body. If you have this body type, you have broader shoulders, narrow hips and a straight waist.
With an inverted triangle body type you want to balance the top and bottom of your body. To do that, you need to reduce volume on the top and increase it on the bottom; draw attention to your lower part or wear something that makes your hips look broader. Famous celebrities with inverted triangle body types are: Naomi Campbell, Demi Moore, and Cindy Crawford.
You should wear:
- Skirts that add volume to your hips
- Horizontal prints around your hip area
- Wider belts to help you define your waist line
- Dark colors on top and lighter colors on bottom to minimize your upper body and make your body look more proportionate
- Plain and unpatterned tops
- Wide-leg pants
- Any accessory that draws attention to your lower body (big bags, big clutches, etc.)
You shouldn’t wear:
- Scarfs or anything that takes attention away from your lower body
- Puffy sleeves or shoulder pads
- Pencil skirts or skinny jeans
- Big earrings or necklaces
- Anything with a high neck
- Small clutches
To sum it up, if your body type is an inverted triangle, your upper body is wider than your lower body, therefore you just need to balance it out by picking clothes that draw attention away from your shoulders and towards your lower body. Remember, your outfit doesn’t have to be expensive, but it has to be tasteful. Knowing your body and how to dress it is the key to being “fashion educated.” However, at the end of the day you know your body best, and if something makes you feel good, wear it. There is no fun in following all the rules, even fashion rules.
Stay Beautiful! Stay Yourself!